July 11, 2013

day date on capitol hill


















[Capitol Hill, DC] Yesterday Adam & I went on an adventure because our landlords welcomed a little baby girl into the world, Miss Savannah Moss. Ava is now a big sister & will now learn how to share not only toys but her parents' attention as well. I am anxious to see how she handles the change & hope that I can help her still feel loved & give her extra attention. Having Ben's sister in town for a week has given me a little break which I am extremely grateful for. I had never toured the Capitol & was curious to what Adam does everyday for work. Having him as my tour guide was a treat! I could feel the passion in his voice as he explained the history of our government. Looking up into the dome reminded me a lot of my study abroad in Italy & the architectural structures that influenced the founding fathers. It was no Michelangelo but the beauty was surreal & being there opened up my heart again to the love & respect I have for artists throughout history. Even the statues scattered around made me appreciate those hands that have the ability to create masterpieces for the world to enjoy. We then headed over to the United States Botanical Gardens which was clearly Adam's favorite part (as you can tell from his expression in the pictures). It felt like a jungle & I'm glad we visited but probably won't need to visit again. Our next stop was the National Museum of the Native American where I remembered some facts from my Mesoamerican Art class that I took at BYU. I tried to explain to Adam but couldn't quite spit it out right (I'll have to brush up on my notes before we go again). Because our stomachs tend to run our lives, we didn't get to stay long & made our way to We The Pizza up on Eastern Market. I highly recommend the Pineapple & Honey Ham with either sarsaparilla or strawberry lemonade but it looked like you couldn't go wrong with any choice. Our adventure helped me understand how our nation is rooted & founded upon & even though Adam & I fiddle around with the idea of living in other countries, we are so blessed to have the freedoms that we do & are proud to call ourselves "Americans".


"America will never be destroyed from the outside. 
If we falter & destroy our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln 










No comments:

Post a Comment